Friends terms and conditions
Friends membership terms and conditions
If you are buying membership of the Museum of the Home Friends for your own use, then by your action you agree and accept these membership Terms and Conditions apply between us. Acceptance of your membership application will take place when the Museum notifies you that it has been accepted. This creates a valid and binding contract between you and the Museum of the Home.
Museum of the Home will be referred to as “we” or “us”.
Friend means you and/or any other members of the Museum of the Home Friends scheme.
Friends membership benefits means the benefits set out in clause 1.
Friends card means the card provided to you by the Museum of the Home confirming you are a member.
References to “you” “your” “yourself” in these membership Terms and Conditions refer to any person buying membership for their own use.
Membership fee means the money you have paid to the Museum of the Home to become a Friend, such membership fees are set out on the Museum of the Home website.
Membership period means the date from which the Museum of the Home acknowledges your membership following receipt of your membership fee to the date on which your membership expires. The term of your membership period is set out on your membership card.
These membership Terms and Conditions constitute the entire agreement and understanding between you and us and supersede any previous agreement relating to membership.
We reserve the right to change these Terms at any time.
Friends Membership Benefits
- The Museum of the Home’s Friends scheme offers a range of Friends Membership benefits on payment of an annual Membership subscription. As a charity we rely on the subscriptions and donations from Museum of the Home Friends to help fund our work.
- As a Museum of the Home Friend you will receive a range of benefits. A complete list is available on the Museum of the Home website. A typical membership includes:
- Friends card
- Friends e-news and updates
- Ad –hoc member’s offers and events
- Free access to Almshouse 14
- Offers from third parties
- We reserve the right to change the benefits at any time and without prior notice. Where possible, changes to benefits will be published on the Museum of the Home website.
- Friends membership benefits are only redeemable with presentation of Friends card. Any loss of Friends card must be reported to the Museum of the Home immediately. The Museum reserves the right to make a reasonable charge for replacement of Friends cards.
- You must not allow anyone else to use your Friends card. Fraudulent use of Friends cards reduces our ability to raise income, so we kindly as that you do not lend your card to non-members. Allowing someone else to use your Friends card outside these Terms and Conditions may result in your membership being cancelled without notice. No refund of membership fees will be given under these circumstances.
- Shop and café discounts cannot be used in conjunction with any other special offers or discounts. Discounts are not applicable to additional Friends memberships.
- Services supplied from a third party or external provider will be subject to the supplier’s own terms and conditions. We are not responsible for, and do not accept any liability for, loss or damage suffered as a result of a fault, error or omission in the provision of such services.
Administration of membership
- Museum of the Home Friends is administered almost exclusively through online channels.
- When you join as a Friend you will be asked for an email address which will be used to send you confirmation of payment, a welcome email and Friends’ email updates and reminders, which may include our Friends’ newsletter, access and invitations to our events, what’s on round ups and exhibition alerts – providing information about our latest exhibitions, news, events, appeals and offers available in the Museum of the Home shop and café.
- If you do not wish to receive communications from the Museum of the Home then please inform us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling xxxxx. You can also unsubscribe from emails at any time using the link included on all email updates which we send you.
- If you chose not to provide an email address (or unsubscribe from receiving emails from us at any time) the only communications you will received from us will be those very limited communications which we send by post, including the Friends card and a postal reminder about renewal. Some aspects of your membership may become harder to access; for example, you may not receive notification of events and exhibitions insufficient time to exercise your right to reserve tickets.
- We request you keep the Museum of the Home up to date with your preferred contact details. The Museum of the Home is not responsible for any missed communications due to a change of address (electronic or postal).
- It being in our legitimate interest to do so, we will contact you by post and, when applicable by email, to update you on your Membership status including reminders when it is due to expire. Friends may also be contacted up to 18 months after the expiry date of their membership asking them to re-join. If you do not what to receive these communications please inform the Development team in person, by phone or by email.
- During your time as a Friend we will collect information about you to help administer your membership, personalise your experience of membership and develop our Friends offer.
- The Museum of the Home will use the information you provide us to provide you with your Friends membership benefits. In particular, the Museum will contact you by email that will help you access these Friends’ benefits. We will not send you correspondence you have not consented to receive from us.
Fees and payment
- All quoted membership fees are for a one-year membership. The Museum of the Home reserves the right in its absolute discretion to change the membership fee each year. You will be informed of any change to subscription rates through your renewal letter/email.
- Upon expiry of your membership you will no longer be a Friend and you will no longer be entitled to receive any Friends membership benefits.
- The Museum of the Home reserves the right to offer time-limited discounts or incentives on membership subscriptions from time to time. These will only be available to Friends joining or renewing within the time frame specified.
- Memberships (new and renewing) may take up to two weeks from receipt to process and membership materials will be posted out to you by Royal Mail. Please contact the Museum of the Home if you have not received your membership materials after this time period. We regret that we will not be able to grant an extension if you fail to inform us of non-receipt of membership materials.
- When each membership period comes to an end, the Museum of the Home will send you a renewal reminder, detailing the expiry date of your membership and any further action you may need to take in order to continue your subscription.
- Membership can be renewed online, by phone and by post.
- Subject to any statutory right to cancel, your membership fee is non-refundable once payment has been received by the Museum of the Home.
Credit/Debit card payments
- The credit/debit card information you provide us for a membership transaction is used solely for the purpose of processing that membership transaction. If we are unable to process payment from the credit/debit card details you have provided we will contact you immediately to verify your details.
- We strongly advise you against sending us any credit/debit card information via email. It is contrary to the rules of the Payment Card Industry (PCI) for us to accept credit/debit card payments by email and we will decline to accept payment by this means.
- If you are not using your own credit/debit card to pay for the membership subscription, you must ask permission of the credit/debit card holder before entering payment details. When you subscribe to membership either online, by post or verbally, you are confirming that you have obtained the express permission of the credit/debit card holder.
- It is your responsibility to read the declaration and truthfully fill it out. It is also your responsibility to inform the Museum of the Home of any changes in your tax status, if your name and/or address changes or if you wish to cancel the declaration.
- You have 30 days to cancel the Gift Aid declaration after receiving acknowledgment from the Museum of the Home before any claim is submitted against the membership fee.
- To be eligible for Gift Aid a donor has to be a UK tax payer and to have paid an amount of UK income tax or capital gains tax that is equal to any tax we would reclaim on your membership or donation.
- Declarations are valid into the future until you notify us that it needs to be stopped.
Publications and other materials
- Unless stated otherwise, copyright and all other rights in all publications and materials supplied to you by Museum of the Home is owned by Museum of the Home. Friends may not reproduce, transmit, distribute, sell or commercially exploit these materials without prior consent of Museum of the Home or to the extent expressly permitted by law.
- As a consumer, you have a legal right to cancel the contract formed between us (and receive a refund of the fees paid) if you change your mind or decide that you do not want to continue the Friends membership.
- If Friends membership is bought online, over the phone or by post, you have the right to cancel your membership order and receive a full refund without giving a reason within 14 days of the date you joined. To cancel an order, you must contact us via email at email@example.com or by writing to us at Museum of the Home Friends, Museum of the Home, Geffrye Almshouses, 136 Kingsland Road, E2 8EA. Cancellation can only be honoured if all goods are returned un-used.
- To meet the cancellation deadline, you will need to send your communication concerning your exercise of the right to cancel before the 14-day cancellation period has expired.
Termination of membership
- The Friends membership of an individual shall be terminated:
- on receipt of a notification of the death of an individual Friend
- on receipt of a written notice of resignation from the Friend
- if payment of any membership subscription has not been received by the Museum within 90 days of the due date.
- The Museum of the Home reserves the right in its sole discretion to refuse you or terminate your membership if in its reasonable opinion you behave in a way which is considered harassing, causing distress or inconvenience to other Friends, any visitor to the Museum of the Home, an member of Museum of the Home staff or any directors, trustees, patrons, donors or other supporters of the Museum of the Home or if you breach any of these terms and conditions.
- Historic Life Memberships from Friends of the Geffrye Museum cannot be transferred and may only be used by the original, named individual for the duration of their lifetime.
- In the event of any dispute arising as to the meaning or interpretation of these rules, the matter shall be referred to the Museum of the Home’s Director whose decision shall be final.
Queries, comments and complaints
Our Development team will aim to respond to any query received within three working days. This may be an acknowledgement of receipt whilst further investigations are carried out. If you have any queries or complaints please contact our Development team.
Telephone: 020 7749 6019
Post: Museum of the Home Friends, Museum of the Home, Geffrye Almshouses, 136 Kingsland Road, E2 8EA
Office house are Monday to Friday 09:00 – 17:00 (excluding public holidays)
These terms and conditions are governed by the laws of England and Wales. These terms and conditions together with your application for Friends membership set out the whole of our agreement relating to the supply of Memberships services by us to you. Nothing said by any sales person or member of our Front of House team on our behalf should be understood as a variation of these terms and conditions or as a representation about the nature and quality of the services being offered by us.